• Surya Namaskar is also known as the Sun Salute.
• Surya Namaskar in an ancient way to pay tribute to the sun.
• It is practice of Yoga Asanas in twelve sequence. It’s a full body workout.
• Surya Namaskar is full set of exercises.
• If you do those asana in front of the sun it’s better for your health.
• If you doing twelve sets of Surya Namaskar it’s equal to 288 poses of Yoga.
• Surya Namaskar is improve your flexibility , cardiovascular system, improve body functions.
• Surya Namaskar improves your body balance.
• Each of the twelve postures of Surya Namaskar is accompanied by Mantras and This Mantras supply energy to the body.
Surya Namaskar is Composed of twelve Asanas ( Postures )
1. PRANAMASANA ( PRAYER POSE)
MANTRA :- OM MITRAYA NAMAH
• Stand at the edge of the mat and keep feet together.
• Balance your body weight equally on both feet.
• Take a deep breath, Expend your chest and relax your shoulder.
• Raised your both arms from the side.
• During exhaling, join both your palms together in front of your chest in prayer position.
2. HASTA UTTANASANA ( RAISED ARMS POSE )
MANTRA :- OM RAVAYE NAMAH
• Breath in, Lift the arms up and slightly bent backward.
• Keep the biceps close to ears.
• Try to stretch the whole body up from the heels to the tips of the fingers and try to bend backward.
3. HASTA PADASANA ( STANDING FORWARD BEND POSE )
MANTRA :- OM SURYAYA NAMAH
• Breath out slowly and Bend forward from your waist.
• Try to touch the floor with your hands.
• Try to keep your spine erect and try to not bend your knees.
4. ASHMA SANCHALANASANA ( EQUESTRIAN or LUNGE POSE )
MANTRA :- OM BHANAVE NAMAH
• Breath in, Push your right leg back as possible.
• Bring the right knee toward the floor.
• Raise your head and look up.
• Ensure that your left foot is exactly in between the palms.
5. DANDASANA ( STICK POSE )
MANTRA :- OM KHAGAYA NAMAH
• Breath in, Take the left leg back and bring the whole body in a straight line.
• Both your hands will be under your shoulder.
• Ensure that your body is parallel to the ground.
6. ASHTANGA NAMASKARA ( SALUTE WITH EIGHT LIMBED POSE )
MANTRA :- OM PUSNE NAMAH
• This is also referred to as salutations using Eight points of parts.
• Gently bring your knees down to the floor and exhale.
• Take the hips back slightly, Slide forward, rest your chest and chin on the floor.
• The two Hands, two Feet, two knees, Chest and Chin ( Eight parts of the body) should touch the ground while your hips will remain suspended in the Air.
7. BHUJANGASANA (COBRA POSE)
MANTRA :- OM HIRANYAGARBHAYA NAMAH
• Breath in , Slide forward and Raise the chest up into the cobra pose.
• Apply pressure on the hands ( look up at upward )
• Rest your legs and midsection flat on the floor.
• Position your palms beside your chest.
8. ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA (DOWNWARD FACING DOG POSE)
MANTRA :- OM MARICAYE NAMAH
• Keep your palms and feet where they are.
• Breath out and gently lift your hip and tailbone up to bring your body into inverted 'V' pose
• Try to keep your heels on the ground and look towards your Navel.
9. ASHWA SANCHALANASANA (EQUESTRIAN POSE)
MANTRA :- OM ADITYAYA NAMAH
• Breath in, Bring the right foot forward in between the two Hands.
• The left knee gose down the floor.
• Press hip down and look up towards the ceiling.
• Place your right foot between your hands.
10. HASTA PADASANA ( STANDING FORWARD BEND )
MANTRA :- OM SAVITRE NAMAH
• Breath in, Bring your left foot forward and gently straighten your knees
• Keep the palms on the floor ( keep breathing in or out )
11.HASTA UTTANASANA ( RAISED ARMS POSE )
MANTRA :- OM ARKAYA NAMAH
• Breath in, lift your body upward and then backward a little bit.
• Your biceps are beside your ears and your arms above your head.
12. PRANAMASANA (PRAYER POSE )
MANTRA :- OM BHASAKARAYA NAMAH
• This is the last step.
• Breath out and stand straight.
• Lower your arms and hold your palms in front of your chest.
• Observe the sensation in your body.
Tips for performing Surya Namaskar:-
• Do proper breathing techniques.
• Don’t do forcefully Stretching during performing Asanas.
• Reduces the tension from body and mind.
• Improves Blood Ciculation.
• Regulates breathing.
• Stimulates nervous system.
• Weight loss management.
• Improves overall health.
• Strengthen the body.
• Body becomes toned and flexible.
• Mood swings and emotional stability.
• Helps to regulate the menstrual cycle.
• Helpful for Insomnia patients ( relaxes the mind )
• Detoxifies your body.
• Health ( absorbed Vitamin D from the sun ).